This site will look much better in a browser that supports web standards, but it is accessible to any browser or Internet device.


Clubs, glossaries, museums, shops and much more......

glue-it.com

...all of your model making needs from one site.







Lady Bug

By: Bob Lane


My version of a Lady Bug the original designed by Andy Clancy from Mesa in Pheonix Arizona.

I could not buy a kit of this model in the UK so I made this one from photos and info from the web site the span is 41" chord 14" wing loading 14.29 oz per square ft weight 3.5lbs. I've used an all moving rudder and tailplane with a closed loop system no ailerons, a sprung undercarriage the wing tips fold/spring down in the event of an inverted arrival. Engine is an OS 26 four stroke with a 6 ounce fuel tank 15 mins run with a 10x4 prop. Radio is a Sanwa 6 channel with standard servos. The fuss is a box of Liteply with lots of holes drilled to reduce weight after assembly before covering with Litespan as is all the model the windows are made as tip no 1 on hints and tips.

I used blue foam around /under the engine to get the shape and keep the weight down. The wing tips and tailplane edges are all made with laminated strips ( as per full size Mosquito ). I think this plane would fly with a .15 two stroke as the OS 26 is very powerful. The paint job and spots make it a Ladybird but that would be unfair to Andy Clancy.


Flying Update

On Tuesday afternoon I went to our flying field It was a perfect flying day 13 of us mainly pensioners. I took the bug for a test flight by one of our most skilled pilots. It tracked straight then lifted of and climbed did a left turn it looked great, the pilot trimmed it to fly level and I grabbed my camera for some shots, then shock the wing came off and he shut the throttle ( he is good), the fuss went down in a soft field the wing floated down slowly. The wing and tail parts were not damaged the fuss looked bad but on getting home the engine OK radio OK and ive half completed a new fuss using the rear parts not a disaster after all. After all the experts and I discussed the event and checked the trims on the TX we found that there was not enough down trim movement and it needed more down thrust. So it was a success in spite of the prang and when repaired the wing will stay on for certain.


Here is some data:
C of G one third from LE of flat bottom Clark Y section
Tailplane incidence zero, main wing 2 degrees pos using my incidence checkers.
3 degrees downthrust ( was 2 before crash )

Another Flight

I went to RAF Wittering the home of the Harrier jump jet, invited by the RAFAMC, I took the bug for testing.

Dave English, an electric only man, flew it for me. It was a bit gusty 5/8mph wind it tracked straight, was up in about 15ft off the tar runway, climbed very high, he throttled down to about 1/4 and trimmed out. It flew great and into wind actually stopped, he put in up elevator until it stalled but it just stayed level and sank like a parachute not a dropped wing he said he could land it vertically. It flew for 15 minutes, a dead stick landing was perfect it just tipped on stopping due to a gust.


Dave said he might make one for electric, a 400 motor should do.

Tailplane very thin Clark Y set zero inc.
Main plane 2 degrees positive, flat bottom Clark Y
Engine 4 degrees downthrust, no side thrust.
OS 26FS 10x4 prop.
Weight 3.5lbs
4 ounce tank.

Very pleased with results, the kiddies at the fly-in love it.

By: Bob Lane