This site will look much better in a browser that supports web standards, but it is accessible to any browser or Internet device.


Clubs, glossaries, museums, shops and much more......

glue-it.com

...all of your model making needs from one site.







Warlord Titan

By: Nigel & Patrick Taylor

We decided we ought to have a go at building a Warlord Titan for Warhammer 40k. The only questions were - "what size?" - "how?" - "where do we start?".

OK, some serious problems that needed some digging.

We searched the web for images and details to give us some ideas and there are some great references out there.


This is the "upper thigh bone" and is 18cm between centres.

It is made from 5 layers of MDF with each layer 3mm thick and 30mm wide.


The holes were drilled after the plys had set.

As you can see the idea was to make articulated parts, this does mean extra work but does make it look more realistic and gives us the opportunity to pose the model.

Once the pose is correct we will then glue the joints.


A foot again made from 3mm thick mdf plys.

The layers were jointed in the centre so that the plys fit closely together at 90.

The upper joint was designed to articulate so that we could pose the model.


The foot from the underside. This shows all of the plys glues with PVA.


A close up of the plys that have been drilled to accept an 8mm aluminium tube.


The left stands with the aluminium tubes allowing the joints to rotate.

As you can see the leg is fully articluated and the proportions look about right.

So a pair of these and we have the start of our Titan.


This is the "pelvis" - made from thicker MDF and again drilled 8mm for the hip joints.


The legs jointed with spacers on the hips.

The feet are nicely spaced and clear each other when you walk the model.


From all angles the look is rather pleasing.


If you′ve spent the last days, weeks or months building a model that you are really proud of and want to pass on some of your knowledge then why not write a brief article and send it to us along with a few images of the model? ed

We decided that the model needed to look mechanical and the leg actuators would be hydraulic rams.

These were simulated with MDF and brass tubes.

At this point the feet had gained the armour plates - these were just made to fit....a case of offering up parts and cutting a rough example then making 8 off.


We plumbed in the lower ram with copper wire (this was stripped out from some 2.5mm2 flat twin and earth).

The legs were drilled and the wire threaded through and around the legs.


An actuator being held whilst the glue dried with masking tape and a strong clip.


The copper wires were wound around the legs to make the legs look more mechanical and to bulk them out a bit.


Next time we will describe the upper body development and give some more dimensions....Part 2, Part3

If you have any similar models then we would like to hear about them, ed.