This site will look much better in a browser that supports web standards, but it is accessible to any browser or Internet device.


Clubs, glossaries, museums, shops and much more......

glue-it.com

...all of your model making needs from one site.







V-Twin Solenoid Motor

Nigel Taylor

Last year I built a horizontal single solenoid motor and it was very successful. This got me thinking about other configurations. Firstly I got searching YouTube for some other engines people had built and I came across this: V-twin Solenoid motor - I like the idea and the sound and thought that I ought to have a go at something similar.

I then started looking at the Harley Davidson V-Twin with 45° between banks and single crank pin. Some of the first parts I machined were the gears for the timing - cut using a Unimat 3 mill on the cross-slide of a Hobbymat MD65 (setup shown here).

Looking at this image is a bit scary as the gear is a long way from the chuck - rather a lot of overhang.


The larger gears were machined in brass and then steel cams were fitted to these.

The video on youtube shows the engine in it′s cradle that I used during construction to rest it in.

The finished engine has mounts+ and sits in a cradle (sort of the bottom half of a motorbike frame) that is then bolted to a piece of slate.

The pushrods have brass pads on the ends and these run on the steel cams.

I only made plain bearings for the cams with a light oil lubrication.


The pushrods run in brass tubes that are lubricated with graphite and these operate small micro-switches.


I machined the flywheel from a solid piece of cast iron. The slots were machined on the rotary table.

The only small design problem is that I machined the end of the crank 6mm in diameter and in the centre drilled and tapped a 3mm thread - this ended up as a rather limited face to bolt the flywheel to.

The wires have shrink wrap insulation on the ends. The shrink wrap was done in two stages with a short piece that was shrunk with the soldering iron and then over the top of this a longer piece of shrink wrap. The effect is rather nice.


The solenoid bobbins were made from bog-oak.

You can see in the later images that I drilled small holes in the ends of the bobbins to thread each end of the wire through.

The bobbins were wound on the lathe at a low speed. BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS.

The armatures were machined from mild steel and then drilled.


The conrods were machined together from aluminium.

There are small ball-bearings in the big ends and plain bearings in the small ends.

Once the conrods were machined and slotted I then bent the sides in using 2 inch half round pieces in the vice to form the curves.


The crankshaft is in three pieces, the main shaft was machined from mild steel and the crank machined from brass that was then soldered to the main crank. The crank pin was then soldered to the crank.

There is actually a fourth part and that was the timing gear that was machined seperately and once again soldered to the crank.

In reality I held all of the pieces in a jig and then heated the crank, once hot I then touched some solder onto each joint.




A clear view of the cams, gears and pushrods.


The finished engine.....


.....from different angles.


This has been quite rewarding to make. If you would like to share photos of an engine you are working on or have finished then do drop me a line ed.